Various mega projects help the economic development of a country and benefit the society around while other projects extend their benefit beyond and endeavor to transform society's socio-economic development. Among such projects is the Hawassa Industrial Park (HIP).
The park whose construction was finalized in nine months, relatively lower period accommodates 52 international standard factory sheds with full facility using latest technology. Among the two main reasons that make it unique the huge job opportunity that it created. HIP Acting General Manager, Fitsum Ketema, told visitors from various parts of the country that the park has created 17,000 job opportunities in 17 months and envisages to raise the opportunities to 60,000 as more companies take over the empty sheds inside the park.
Beyond the direct employment opportunity hired in the factories within the park, the park has now opened a good opportunity for the park area settlers. As the park hired many workers from diff…
The construction of two projects of Modjo-Hawassa expressway is being undertaken as per of schedule while bidding process sees finalization to commence the last two projects, Ethiopian Road Authority (ERA) told The Ethiopian Herald.
The 202.5 Kms expressway construction which costs 13 billion Birr is phased in four projects, Modjo-Meki , Meki-Zeway, Zeway-Arsi Negele and Arsi Negele-Hawassa, said ERA Communication Director, Samson Wondimu.
Modjo-Meki project, 56.4 Kms, which is under construction at a cost of 3.6 billion Birr will be completed late in the coming Ethiopian year, he said, adding 58.1 percent of the finance was obtained from African Development Bank (AfDB) and the remaining 41.9 percent was covered by the government of Ethiopia.
"The road passes on route that had no road previously; hence, it is sure to enhance socio-economic activities."
The second phase, 37 Kms Meki-Zeway project, worth over two billion Birr is also 24 percent complete with finance secured fr…
borkena June 17,2018
Ethiopia’s Southern Nations Nationalities and Peoples region administration admit that 15 civilians are killed in the last three days due to the violence in Hawassa, Wolkite and Wolaita Sodo towns.
The deadliest one took place in Hawassa, a resort city in Southern Ethiopia, otherwise known for its warm social relation that gives no room for linguistic in social interaction. And what took many,who are familiar to the city, by surprise is that the violence was ethnic based between different ethnic groups. Eye witness accounts from the city claim that there were instances where residents were attacked simply because they belong to this or that ethnic group. Based on government report, at least 10 are killed and more than 80 wounded. The conditions of some of the wounded is said to be life threatening. Machetes and spears were used in the conflict.
The violence happened in the course of the two weeks long new year’s celebration of Sidama speaking people in the region w…
June 16 (Xinhua) -- Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed is to visit the riot hit Hawassa city, capital of Ethiopia's Southern regional state next week to calm tensions, state media Ethiopia Broadcasting Corporation (EBC) said on Saturday.
EBC didn't give exact dates for the PM's visit to Hawassa city, but said Ahmed is expected to meet community elders and local officials in a bid to restore peace in the city.
The EBC report further said the PM plans to institute a boundary commission to solve territorial disputes raised in various parts of Ethiopia.
On Friday, Solomon Hailu, Head of Communications Bureau, Southern regional state, said several days of riots in Hawassa city left 10 people dead, 89 others injured, and more than 2,500 people displaced.
The riots in Hawassa city are said to have involved ethnic Sidamas the original inhabitants of Hawassa city and the neighboring Wolaita ethnic group.
Ethnic Sidamas and ethnic Wolaitas are one of the more numerous ethnic group…
Background: Failure to provide
sufficient nutrients during rapid rates of growth results in
malnutrition, which is complex in its etiology and increasing in its
manifestations. Ethiopia is one of the developing countries where
malnutrition and communicable diseases represent the major health
problems, and children are the more vulnerable group than others.
Objectives: To assess magnitude of protein energy malnutrition and
associated factors among children aged 6-59 months in Wondogenet
district, southern Ethiopia. Methods: A community based
cross-sectional study was employed on 422 mother-child pairs of 6-59
months old children in April 2017 using both quantitative and
qualitative methods. A pretested semi-structured questionnaire and
anthropometric measurement were used to collect data. Logistic
regression was fitted to identify associated factors, and Focused
Group Discussion was used to substantiate the quantitative finding.
Result: The analysis of this study revealed that…