By Sidama Civil Servants from Hawassa City Administration and Sidama Zone, 31 August, 2012
From Hawassa, Sidama, August 31st 2012
We, the Sidama civil servants are deprived of our fundamental rights to leading our daily lives in peace and harmony due to an increased intimidation, harassments and imprisonments that the regime pursues against the Sidama nation for claiming its constitutional rights to regional self administration. The regime's regional cadres with federal forces brutalize Sidama people changing their tactics on daily basis. Despite these, the Sidama nation's continued claims to assert their aforementioned rights further created an atmosphere where the regime deliberately and systematically crushes Sidama civil servants and others members of the Sidama society under the pretext of violating constitution. We express our utter disappointments to doing so. Therefore:-
1. We all the sons and daughters of the Sidama nation unwaveringly support the constitutional quest of the Sidama nation to regional self administration; the demand that's so important to our nation's futurity and all round interest!
2. We urge the incumbent regime to stop harassing, intimidating and persecuting Sidamas for claiming their legitimate and constitutional rights to regional self administration and further urge the regime to appropriately and constitutionally respond to Sidama people's constitutional quest for regional self administration without further delay!
3. We demand that our rights to be unconditionally respected so that we can work and live peacefully in our lands as others Ethiopians do in their respective regions!
4. We demand unconditional releases of Sidama civilians who are arbitrarily arrested for raising Sidama people's constitutional demand to regional self administration!
5. We won't be able to peacefully discharge our professional obligations in a productive manner to develop our region under the status quo where our basic rights are continually abused! Therefore, we will not have any option, but be obliged to take further actions in our protest of the unconstitutional treatments of the Sidama people by the regime for claiming their 100% legitimate and constitutional rights!
6. We strongly believe that the light of victory must shine on behalf of the victims without prejudice and discrimination!
( www.sidama.org )